Friday, August 21, 2009

24th Bday: Vingt-Quatrième Anniversaire

So in honor of my one month anniversary of being 24, I will blog about my birthday! My day started out with me being left alone until noon, while my brother planned surprises. I was a little afraid he was planning a scavenger hunt for me to learn more about Limoges. Which quite possibly could have been the worst idea for a birthday present for me. If you have driven with me for more than 5 minutes, you already know that "me+maps=bad times".

But no it was not a scavenger hunt he was just doing some last minute shopping and I was happy to take my time sleeping in and getting dressed. 

Ok so 1st stop, lunch! I looked at the menu and saw a drink called "Cinderella" I thought this would be the perfect birthday drink. I was wrong. It was so the opposite of any of the words you would use to describe Cinderella. We poured it into my water glass because the original glass was too depressingly common. So anyway, it was actually more fun to talk about how sad my fancy drink was than to actually have a fancy drink, so it all worked out. 

Side story, we once went out for drinks, and I ordered a drink called "summer cocktail". I made my request in french but the name of the drink was in english. So when the waiter heard my order he then complimented me for not having a french accent on the words "summer cocktail". I'm sure he would have been surprised to find out I actually had to have what he said translated to me. 

My Crepe! We didn't "save room for dessert", so no chocolate crepes. 
Next stop, haircut! My first haircut since late March. (see pre-haircut picture above)
I love my haircut and the lady was so nice and it only cost 20 euro. Eric's friend/coworker, Christelle, and now my friend, came with me to help translate which was quite entertaining for me and stressful for Christelle. But I think it all worked out.
Christelle got a haircut too! 
Um, we both got haircuts!
Back at Christelle's friend's apartment for a little birthday bakery goodness. Please note single free standing candle for me to blow out.Eric had the very cool/good idea that we should go out for a traditional multi-course french meal. This was our 1st course: Aperitif. I think we were supposed to order a liquor too, but we didn't. (Tip: if you go for a formal french meal, don't fill up on bread at all.)
The menu lets you order from different selections for a set price, there were about 3 choices for every course and 3 of us so we got one of each and rotated. Christelle had to explain to the waitress that we were American, so that she wouldn't die of shock at our manners. These were our Hors d'oeuvres: escargot with salad (not normal, usually its served in the shell with butter and green stuff) I'm gonna butcher it if I try and tell you what the other two were, but I liked the one with bread and dip best, then the salad with something that looks like bacon, BUT IS NOT BACON! And last the escargot. If you go to France, do eat escargot, but the traditional way. Just close your eyes and pick up the tiny fork.These were our main courses. This one was only my 2nd favorite, but everyone else's 1st. It was egg and fish with potatoes. This was not what we wanted to order, but our 1st choice was no longer available, 
so we ATE PIGEON! I know, I know. I didn't like it, I didn't eat much, it was not like normal meat? Is that a good enough description? But I did enjoy walking down the street the next day, yelling at pigeons "Out of my way or I'll eat you!"This was my favorite, to me it tasted kinda like meatloaf. I'm sure french chefs are rolling over in their graves everywhere because of this blog, but its the best I can do.
So when dessert came around, I thought "I'll be french and order cheese and fruit for dessert." And this is what they brought me? I've been introduced to a thing called "Creme Fresh" kinda like yogurt cheese, but nevertheless confusing to moi.
And everyone's personal favorite: Creme Brulee!And fudgey chocolate cake, I'm glad we were splitting 3 ways, this is too much for 1 person.So thanks Eric! Great birthday present! And to say it in french "It wasn't bad."

The next day after we waddled home from our large spectacular meal, we went with a few of Eric's coworkers and friends to a festival in another city. It was interesting. My camera battery died, so not too many pictures, which I find devastating and unacceptable. But here's a few. It was a festival to celebrate flight in this area of the country for 50 years...yeah, I know....anyway.

We just thought this part of the parade was hilarious. It was a Romanian group, but they didn't have anything, no dance, no music, no throwing of swag. They just clapped. It was like someone was like "Guys, we have these awesome outfits, but that's it, we need something else. I know! We'll just clap our hands in no actual rhythm and they'll love us!" 

Um, so this man/baby was racing around in front of the parade shooting people with water/tears/milk? I think....
This is a picture of the band that you can't see in the following video.

So there's really not much to see in this video but the music is cool and they only had like drums and bells etc. 
Ok, now for a seriously exciting part of my birthday. My roommate in the U.S., 
Jessie sent me an apron with owls on it, I have always wanted a super cute apron.
And the 2nd best part is when I opened it up and put it on all kinds of homemade
birthday cards fell out from my friends at home. Thanks so much everyone!
Here's a picture of exactly what happened, exactly when it happened.
Note floor covered in cards and ear to ear grin.

Ok, and finally I think my birthday is over with the free gift of Harry Potter.
A woman at my brother's office gave him 2 free movie tickets and we decided
to go see Harry Potter in french, because originally we decided it would be a
waste of money for me to go see it in french, but since now we weren't wasting 
any money we decided to go see it. We sat off to the side and Eric translated the 
whole thing. He did a good job, plus I know the characters and I've read the book.
But seriously I think the last 2 Harry Potter movies have had no endings, just like
"Ok, there was two hours of Harry Potter, no ending, see you next year."
Here's an illegal taste of watching Harry Potter in french.


I'm not sure what's up for the next blog, but I have lots to blog about so we'll see.  

No comments: